What's new
Choice of Mods

Join our amazing community to find Choicescript games and modifications to improve your gameplay!

Question regarding COG deal terms for authors

Justine

Starting in 2024, Choice of Games is pleased to announce a better deal for our authors.

Our new deal terms allow us to offer one of two contracts:

25% Royalties Against $10,000 Advance, or
10% Royalties Against $15,000 Advance
We’re making these changes today because our ability to reliably drive sales has improved, and because the US dollar has experienced significant inflation in recent years. Our authors deserve a larger advance, and we’re happy to provide that.

We invite experienced writers to apply to write for Choice of Games.

(If you’re new to writing, or would like to try writing your first interactive novel, we’d also like to encourage you to publish under our Hosted Games label.)
-Originally published at: We’ve increased the advances we’re paying to authors - Choice of Games LLC

Question is,
1. What were the terms before?
2. What happens if authors doesn't meet the target salesfor the cash advance?
3. Is the percentage that goes to the authors always this low?

Anyone who wish to participatw in the discussion be it authors, readers, or anyone with information, understanding, or just wish to discuss are free to comment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_131820_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_131820_Gmail.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 8

BatatsContaFalsa

2. What happens if authors doesn't meet the target salesfor the cash advance?
Im using information I remember reading a good while back, so if I miss something, someone let me know.

2- Nothing happens, its CoGs problem if it doesnt sell above the cash advance. When writers accept the advance, they also give up the rights for the IP to CoG.

That means that if the game sells well, CoG doesnt have to give anything to the author, and has the IP for them to do whatever they like. But if it sells bad, they just lost money, and got a most likely forever useless IP in return, its a little bit of gambling, in a way.
3. Is the percentage that goes to the authors always this low?

Yes, they said before that the terms already were some of the best in the industry, but I have no way to verify if that claim is true. But it is indeed very low.

Justine

Im using information I remember reading a good while back, so if I miss something, someone let me know.

2- Nothing happens, its CoGs problem if it doesnt sell above the cash advance. When writers accept the advance, they also give up the rights for the IP to CoG.

That means that if the game sells well, CoG doesnt have to give anything to the author, and has the IP for them to do whatever they like. But if it sells bad, they just lost money, and got a most likely forever useless IP in return, its a little bit of gambling, in a way.

Yes, they said before that the terms already were some of the best in the industry, but I have no way to verify if that claim is true. But it is indeed very low.
Thanks for the info, atleast now I have some idea how choicescript games work.