What's new
Choice of Mods

Join our amazing community to find Choicescript games and modifications to improve your gameplay!

Stories that left you disappointed for a reason

Sant

So we've had this thread before the site got erased, so I think we could bring back again.

I'll start with Magikiras, the book had potential but the ending was very rushed without a good conclusion. I high-key feel like they will not bring a sequel, unless they redo the ending or something.

melusina

I'd say Sins of the Sire but I already wrote out why in another thread so here's another one that disappointed me:

New Witch in Town.

The stats system is terrible (skill stats are tied to personality despite already having separate personality stats). I focused on two mysteries, figuring that I couldn't solve everything in one playthrough, but still didn't accomplish anything. Then I was greeted by this long epilogue with paragraphs of sudden exposition dumping that would have been real nice to read earlier and not at the ****ing end lol.

Like, I tried paying attention but I felt like I didn't gain anything from reading an essay-long conversation between two ranchers resolving their conflict when I'm two steps from The End. Hard to tell if that was because I was upset that I failed everything or that the game kept reminding me by being like "too bad you couldn't figure [insert mystery here] out."

The characters couldn't save the story for me either. The ROs I went after were cute but I didn't like them enough to have to go through everything else more than twice lmao. I think there was too much focus on ecology and less on magic and... you know... being a witch. You could remove magic from the story and it'd still be the same.

Basically, it wasn't what I signed up for and while I was pretty invested at first, it went downhill near the end. The stats are explained on the stat page but it was still difficult to figure out which option to choose because sure, I could do Option A since I'm a sociable townie but then I fail because my low strength stat (cause hey! It also correlates to strength of ... emotions? Uh, okay).

I can't say I have many favourites in the CoG line but this game... I feel kind of betrayed lmao

Ksilver

For me personally, it was Sword of Rhivenia.

It's just felt so rushed for me.

The hangout scene is so short, the conversation felt awkward, and the side characters are 1-dimensional.

To be honest, I was very excited when the demo come out. Like, if the book was longer, then I probably will enjoy it more. But Book 1 felt like it ends very abruptly.

Vamp-kun

@melusina Maybe if the New Witch in Town game was an ecological thriller like some movies from Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal it would have been an interesting story.

To me, that game felt like an episodic drama about a beloved town in the USA about to be snatched by the cow barons.

Vamp-kun

@Melkor Worry not about the woke stuff in those games.
They are coming from a company in California (I'm not going to foulmouth the state though) that has a high percentage of clients that demand those overly modern political things in their escapism.

You should have seen the urban fantasy books. They were the first to adopt that style of fanservice, and once they did, they fell out of the glorious mainstream days (Underworld, Buffy, Charmed, etc) into today's obscurity.

There is nothing that can be done about it.
Just enjoy your playthrough and greet every purple person as a lost relative.
It always works.

Thanatalion

For me it's Aether life as a god so much potential but it was so short for once you got a story like that and it's so short never really learn much about the other gods etc and I loved the interaction eith the mortals I wish it was longer and more detailed for me it would have been perfect if it was

xxgil

a mage reborn. it wasnt necessarily bad but it doesnt include content after u die and get resurrected, which was in the demo. like why would i even play the released version when the demo has more content + save system. completely wasted my time

Ksilver

Samurai of hyuga book 5 for me, I don't like the ending and every side character was being killed so often that I just stopped caring halfway through the game. I just hope the story/plot is better in the final books.
Really? Sure, the cliffhanger ending is annoying. On that we can agree. It's great, but annoying. XD

As for the side character, i think it's a good time for character death, because we're already on book 5. And it's also strengthening the plot of the book and shows how much the Ronin comes from the start. On book 1, The Ronin didn't even trust Toshie and have the option to do all the task alone. But this time, when they finally have people they trusted surrounding them, The Ronin was forced to make hard decision and watch all of their friend sacrifice themselves for the Ronin.

I also like how book 5 shows that the Ronin slowly descend into madness and grows desperate, all for the sake of Masami. I dont know how he will keep his himself together if he loses Masami after Jun/ko.

And yes, I also hope the final story will be epic and makes all the hardship and decision we take worth it. But it looks like book 6 wont be the final, so maybe we have to wait longer. :(

Vamp-kun

Samurai of hyuga book 5 for me, I don't like the ending and every side character was being killed so often that I just stopped caring halfway through the game. I just hope the story/plot is better in the final books.
Ah yes, the infamous book five.
I wish every dead character to have their reincarnation after a few chapters in book six so we can go back to the book 1 and 2 days.
Those were the days!

Awritingom

Really? Sure, the cliffhanger ending is annoying. On that we can agree. It's great, but annoying. XD

As for the side character, i think it's a good time for character death, because we're already on book 5. And it's also strengthening the plot of the book and shows how much the Ronin comes from the start. On book 1, The Ronin didn't even trust Toshie and have the option to do all the task alone. But this time, when they finally have people they trusted surrounding them, The Ronin was forced to make hard decision and watch all of their friend sacrifice themselves for the Ronin.

I also like how book 5 shows that the Ronin slowly descend into madness and grows desperate, all for the sake of Masami. I dont know how he will keep his himself together if he loses Masami after Jun/ko.

And yes, I also hope the final story will be epic and makes all the hardship and decision we take worth it. But it looks like book 6 wont be the final, so maybe we have to wait longer. :(
The last chapter of the story Tosh was a time traveler right? It came out of nowhere and only people who read the pateron knew.

Zei

Definitely VERSUS: THE deathscapes. Bro that series ending was so bad, that if their was a tier list about terrible series endings of cog games. I would definitely put it at the top.

Spoilers:

Major characters who played a large role in the past few books die. Like literally their death was not even that amazing. They just get all taken out easily by a surprise assault, even a character who was considered to be impossible to kill is taken out so easily. Then their is the last scene of the game, you get to choose wither who will be sacrifice to buy more time for the enemy to arrive.

And that is just ****ING evil. Either its you or Oli ( an ro ). The author did not made a choice to save yourself and your love interest. to thid day i still feel distraught about that ****ing choice.

ElemenOP

a mage reborn. it wasnt necessarily bad but it doesnt include content after u die and get resurrected, which was in the demo. like why would i even play the released version when the demo has more content + save system. completely wasted my time
Uh did you miss the part in the forum's where Parivir stated that there's going to be 3 books?

It also states rn (which hasn't been updated for some reason)
Functionally, this demo contains basically all of Book I, as well as a good chunk of Book II
It's not even hidden, it's at the end of the second paragraph. And in the demo (before book 1 got removed) you literally have to click the
Proceed to book 2
If you felt like it "wasted your time", that's kinda on you for having somewhat bad reading comprehension.