What's new
Choice of Mods

Join our amazing community to find Choicescript games and modifications to improve your gameplay!

Wip Stat Modding Tutorial

Ebba02

Hi, I've seen a lot of modding requests for WiP's on this forum. I understand they're nice to have, but I think it's unrealistic to expect modders to fulfill every single request, especially with how many WiP's there are and with how frequently they're updated.

So I'll try to stem the tide at least a little by posting how I change up variables and stats when playing WiP's. I don't have an iPhone so I'm not sure if these steps are applicable there. If Kiwibrowser isn't on the app store then the browser instructions (Chrome, Firefox etc) will be most relevant for you.

It probably looks and sounds a little complicated, but trust me, I'm not really tech-savvy and it's not hard to use.

Browser instructions for PC and Macs
I personally use firefox but these steps should be applicable for other browsers.

- Open the WiP link.

- If there's a save system in the WiP make sure you use it just in case. There is no reason not to do this.

- Now you want to go to inspect page element. Press Ctrl+Shift+I. Alternatively, you can right-click your mouse and click Inspect.

- You want to enter the Console tab now. It should be the second tab from the left. I'll put some photos below for an example. One should be for firefox, and other one for chrome.
1704012789097.png
1704012878417.png

- Okay it gets pretty easy from this point onwards! Many WiPs will have a similar format for stats (e.g. Strength, Agility, Money, Friendly etc.).
Once you're in the Console tab, all you have to do now is type: stats.(variable)=(desired variable number). You can see examples of how to do it in the screenshots above.

- This is quite important especially if you didn't save. If you want to max out your stats at the very start just set them to 95. You don't want to go to or above 100 otherwise your game might crash. 99.99% of stat checks won't test above 95 anyway. This point usually won't apply for money and/or other variables that aren't related to traits, so it's fine to give yourself a billion gold in games that use currencies.

- Most of the time the code of the stats will be the same as it is described in-game (e.g. If you want to change Agility to 80 then it's stats.agility=80). Sometimes it might be different so you may have to just test with different synonyms of the word for the desired effect (e.g. A stat named Speed in-game may be called Agility in the code).

- If you have tested and still can't find the word, you can do a bit of codediving. I've always thought codediving is useful to know even if you aren't modding, so consider this an extra bonus tutorial!
- To look at the code for WiP's on dashingdon, all you have to do is create a new tab with the link, then edit the link like so.​
- From here it's just a matter of clicking on the chapter you are currently reading through and looking for the stats you want to edit. Ctrl+F is your best friend.​
- If you want a list of all the stats in the code, you can find them in Startup.​
- Alternatively you can see a list of the variables when you type letters into the console tab (e.g. stats.a or stats.b). You can use this to look for variables but it's quite tedious and I wouldn't recommend it.
- Sometimes the WiP may have character traits that you want to add (e.g. Durable). This highly depends on the WiP but sometimes you can simply add it by typing:
stats.durable=true or stats.durable=1 (1 is because of binary terms, 0 is no and 1 is yes). This may not be possible on some WiPs, as they could be coded in a way that only allows for one character trait.

- Once you have edited the desired stats, do not immediately open stats and check, instead go to the next page in-game. The variables will not change if you immediately open stats.

Android (Kiwi Browser) Instructions
- Download Kiwi Browser from the playstore, it's free.

- Once you have opened the link in the app, click on the three dots in the top right, then scroll down the menu and open developer tools. From here it's pretty much the same as the pc instructions listed above.

1704019125907.jpeg
1704019139058.jpeg

Okay I think I have covered most things. If you're unsure about some steps don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to clarify to the best of my abilities. I know there's a lot of steps but it's really not too hard once you get the hang of it. When you do you can freely mod any WiP yourself!

Edit: I have detailed my way of modding twine variables in some of the comments below, check them out if that's what you're after!

Last edited:

MegaKnight

Hi, I've seen a lot of modding requests for WiP's on this forum. I understand they're nice to have, but I think it's unrealistic to expect modders to fulfill every single request, especially with how many WiP's there are and with how frequently they're updated.

So I'll try to stem the tide at least a little by posting how I change up variables and stats when playing WiP's. I don't have an iPhone so I'm not sure if these steps are applicable there. If Kiwibrowser isn't on the app store then the browser instructions (Chrome, Firefox etc) will be most relevant for you.

It probably looks and sounds a little complicated, but trust me, I'm not really tech-savvy and it's not hard to use.

I personally use firefox but these steps should be applicable for other browsers.

- Open the WiP link.

- If there's a save system in the WiP make sure you use it just in case. There is no reason not to do this.

- Now you want to go to inspect page element. Press Ctrl+Shift+I. Alternatively, you can right-click your mouse and click Inspect.

- You want to enter the Console tab now. It should be the second tab from the left. I'll put some photos below for an example. One should be for firefox, and other one for chrome.
View attachment 1316
View attachment 1317

- Okay it gets pretty from this point onwards! Many WiPs will have a similar format for stats (e.g. Strength, Agility, Money, Friendly etc.).
Once you're in the Console tab, all you have to do now is type: stats.(variable)=(desired variable number). You can see examples of how to do it in the screenshots above.

- This is quite important especially if you didn't save. If you want to max out your stats at the very start just set them to 95. You don't want to go to or above 100 otherwise your game might crash. 99.99% of stat checks won't test above 95 anyway. This point usually won't apply for money and/or other variables that aren't related to traits, so it's fine to give yourself a billion gold in games that use currencies.

- Most of the time the code of the stats will be the same as it is described in-game (e.g. If you want to change Agility to 80 then it's stats.agility=80). Sometimes it might be different so you may have to just test with different synonyms of the word for the desired effect (e.g. A stat named Speed in-game may be called Agility in the code).

- If you have tested and still can't find the word, you can do a bit of codediving. I've always thought codediving is useful to know even if you aren't modding, so consider this an extra bonus tutorial!
- To look at the code for WiP's on dashingdon, all you have to do is create a new tab with the link, then edit the link like so.​
- From here it's just a matter of clicking on the chapter you are currently reading through and looking for the stats you want to edit. Ctrl+F is your best friend.​
- If you want a list of all the stats in the code, you can find them in Startup.​
- Alternatively you can see a list of the variables when you type letters into the console tab (e.g. stats.a or stats.b). You can use this to look for variables but it's quite tedious and I wouldn't recommend it.
- Sometimes the WiP may have character traits that you want to add (e.g. Durable). This highly depends on the WiP but sometimes you can simply add it by typing:
stats.durable=true or stats.durable=1 (1 is because of binary terms, 0 is no and 1 is yes). This may not be possible on some WiPs, as they could be coded in a way that only allows for one character trait.

- Once you have edited the desired stats, do not immediately open stats and check, instead go to the next page in-game. The variables will not change if you immediately open stats.

- Once you have opened the link in the app, click on the three dots in the top right, then scroll down the menu and open developer tools. From here it's pretty much the same as the pc instructions listed above.

View attachment 1319
View attachment 1320

Okay I think I have covered most things. If you're unsure about some steps don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to clarify to the best of my abilities. I know there's a lot of steps but it's really not too hard once you get the hang of it. When you do you can freely mod any WiP yourself!
how do i go back to the wip page in kiwi browser after i modded the game using developer tools?

Fye

- Open the WiP link.

View attachment 1316
View attachment 1317

- Okay it gets pretty from this point onwards! Many WiPs will have a similar format for stats (e.g. Strength, Agility, Money, Friendly etc.).

View attachment 1319
View attachment 1320

Do you happen to know how to mod the ones in itch.io?

Ebba02

Do you happen to know how to mod the ones in itch.io?
Normally I just save to disk then plop the save into . For me that has worked with everything so far, except for when twilight strikes.

You could also try another method which I personally haven't used, but I have seen it mentioned online.
I think it is Ctrl+Shift+I -> Console -> Type Sugarcube.State.active.variables and that should bring up a list of variables to change. Apparently some authors put anti-cheats into their games which would take you back to the start of the game, so make a save before you try.
Some twine games also don't use Sugarcube so it might not work at all.

Fye

Normally I just save to disk then plop the save into . For me that has worked with everything so far, except for when twilight strikes.

You could also try another method which I personally haven't used, but I have seen it mentioned online.
I think it is Ctrl+Shift+I -> Console -> Type Sugarcube.State.active.variables and that should bring up a list of variables to change. Apparently some authors put anti-cheats into their games which would take you back to the start of the game, so make a save before you try.
Some twine games also don't use Sugarcube so it might not work at all.
I'm using Android so I can work with save editor. My only problem with it is there is some variables that I don't know what they mean, in dashingdon I used to look in the startup scene to identify them.

Can the second method be used in kiwi browser?

Ebba02

I'm using Android so I can work with save editor. My only problem with it is there is some variables that I don't know what they mean, in dashingdon I used to look in the startup scene to identify them.

Can the second method be used in kiwi browser?
If the variable name isn't there, I tend to cross reference the numbers between the save file displayed on the edit site, and the stats you have in game.

E.g. You have 5231 gold, and variable #0000000f = 5231 in the save file.

The kiwi browser dev tools should have roughly the same function as ctrl shift i so I think it would work if the game is in sugarcube.

Another way that could work is downloading the game if that's an option, then putting the game into the twine app and code diving there. Unfortunately I think this method requires a PC.

Reactions: Fye

Fye

If the variable name isn't there, I tend to cross reference the numbers between the save file displayed on the edit site, and the stats you have in game.

E.g. You have 5231 gold, and variable #0000000f = 5231 in the save file.

The kiwi browser dev tools should have roughly the same function as ctrl shift i so I think it would work if the game is in sugarcube.

Another way that could work is downloading the game if that's an option, then putting the game into the twine app and code diving there. Unfortunately I think this method requires a PC.
Thank you

sevyrex

I'm trying out the kiwi browser method, but I got these error messages instead. Screenshot_20240127_232120_Kiwi Browser.jpg
Do I need to open dev tools on the stat page or what?

Ebba02

I'm trying out the kiwi browser method, but I got these error messages instead. View attachment 1393
Do I need to open dev tools on the stat page or what?
Most of the time you can just ignore these. Sometimes they can clog up the screen, if that happens just save your progress then refresh the page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128_115426_Kiwi Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_115426_Kiwi Browser.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240128_115442_Kiwi Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20240128_115442_Kiwi Browser.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 19

sevyrex

Most of the time you can just ignore these. Sometimes they can clog up the screen, if that happens just save your progress then refresh the page.
Alright, it actually works. But after moving to the next scene, the stats seems to reset to its original value. Does that mean I need to re input the stats every now and then?

Arisato92

- Open the WiP link.

View attachment 1316
View attachment 1317

- Okay it gets pretty easy from this point onwards! Many WiPs will have a similar format for stats (e.g. Strength, Agility, Money, Friendly etc.).

View attachment 1319
View attachment 1320

Edit: I have detailed my way of modding twine variables in some of the comments below, check them out if that's what you're after!
Thank you very much for the guide. Does the guide works on WIP game only or all other game too?

Ebba02

Thank you very much for the guide. Does the guide works on WIP game only or all other game too?
No problem at all!

I'm not entirely sure as to what you're asking but I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. Feel free to ask again if you think I misunderstood your question.

I suppose it would work on full games if there is a dashingdon link, but I can't say I've really tried. Aside from a handful of exceptions, you won't find many finished games on dashingdon. I normally buy the full games on steam if I like the demos since I can sync it up + download it on my phone too. There is a save editor that I like to use sometimes. You can do that or simply get a mod.

The methods I mentioned for twine games should still work with a full game if there is a save to disk function.