What's new
Choice of Mods

Join our amazing community to find Choicescript games and modifications to improve your gameplay!

Stories that left you disappointed for a reason

drinkhealthy

Sword of Rhivenia

I was hyped when I read the demo, and I always checked steam if it was available when the released date is close. But fast forward today, I didn't even finished it. The worldbuilding was generic but that didn't stopped me from liking it, I saw the plot has potential and has great replayability from the demo I played. The next chapters after the heir has been chosen feels underwhelming, the MC feels weak for me and maybe that's what killed my interest. I'll try to read it again when 2nd book gets released.

Vamp-kun

First of:
IT'S BLOOD WEEK EVERYBODY!
🥩🩸🩸🩸 🥩
Happy peasant feast!
Oh how I love it when they think they can escape covens of immortal abominations that can see in the dark and fly!

Let's continue with the complain train, shall we?

|THEIR MAJESTIES PLEASURE|
Medieval fantasy in mud with no toilets ✓
Annoying war and invasion that gets in the way of the romance ✓
Romancable prince that already has an established romantic interest ✓
Insane king that surely has sociopathic tendencies and acts like Jeofrey Lannister ✓
I think those would be enough to annoy me, but no, I have a large tolerance. What made my eyes roll, were the hanky-panky scenes: To someone who has never read an erotic novel or played a similar game, they might read as nice. To someone who consumed erotic vampire material like Saint Dyfnog consumed water, not so much.

|DAWN OF THE SOL EMPIRE|
I disliked that one. Threats from a psychotic space empire to neuter our planet's population, an insane AI that asks for freedom so it can become a Skynet, insane advisors who stab the player in the back, and a seemingly unwinnable plot. 😬

|ELITE STATUS: PLATINUM CONCIERGE|
Let's play as a fellow who supposedly helps rich people. Instead the game is one tragedy upon another, with various ways that the player can get stuck with corrupt characters seeking to have the player draw the short stick of life. 💥 What will they think of next, a firing squad for our protagonist?

|WITCHCRAFT U|
Meandering plot, almost nonexistent romance, characters who act like irresponsible adults and a heist? Is it too much to ask for an experience that exactly replicates the first Harry Potter book? No?

|BATTLEMAGE: MAGIC BY MAIL|
Our protagonist learns magic through an illusionist scam artist and some other uninteresting things happen. It was so forgettable that I don't remember the rest of the plot...

|FATE OF THE STORM GODS|
"Oooooh! An Avatar: the last Airbender experience!"
No.
The protagonist is an adult construct made by some corrupt weather wardens, everybody treats him/her/🇳🇱 like a pile of rubbish, and the story wants to portray the elemental terrorists who kill infants as misunderstood Moomins.
At least the romance was nice? Ehhhhhhhh.....

Last edited:

Luan

Wayhaven 3

Ok, i may be stepping on eggs here. Is not that I don't enjoy the romance or the serie as a whole, but the game gets stuck on the romance when there is freaking werewolves hitting the door. And the conflits are just short and flat. The villains till now are just ok, nothing that really makes you feel like you or your group are in real danger, and why? Because you're too busy dealing with the romance that makes you feel like nothing else matters. And while the romance IS good, makes the plot run in a slow and boring matter. And knowing there still a four book to come, makes me worried about what the author has in mind to along the story😓

Vamp-kun

@Luan I get what you mean by Wayhaven's plot being simplistic or non-suspenseful, although let's remember that the game was conceived as a text-style romance simulator.
And that's ok.
— It's ok nowadays, for people who enjoy romance simulators, to be accepted and have a visibility in the gaming landscape where we can have an open and accepting environment for their "diverse" categorization in gaming genres. Younger me would have the romance simulatorers decried as blasphemous heathens who polute gaming with their normie simplicity.
Untill I played my first romance simulator. The rest is history... —

Now back again to Wayhaven!

What I pray to all the deities above and beyond in R'lyeth, is that Wayhaven stay in a setting of local cases in the style of the X-Files — monster of the week and bantering — and develop like it did in the first book.
I do not wish for the series to progress in another "save the world from disaster" plot.

Last edited:

Vamp-kun

Here is another one, extended.

|FOG OF WAR: THE BATTLE FOR CERBERUS|
Edit: Sorry, forgot to add extra vitriol for this one 🐱

Want to get down and dirty with a colony of psychopathic "rebels" — terrorists actually — ? Me too™, but we don't get that.
Mysteriously, the player does not get invested much with the military department he/she/🇳🇱 is in, and is instead reprimanded for shooting at a poor little Moomin who held a rocket launcher in a window. Despite the military's no gun laws.
Why that is? Silly players, have you never played HAZE?
Of course the military who fed, clothed and grew up the protagonist is evil, and we have to kill all of our friends for the good mannered psychopathic rebels!
Let me explain.
Our protagonist's initial mission is to deliver a vaccine to the colony of Cerberus, but our innocent psychotic little Moomin terrorists are against this, (because remember, the army is chaotic evil) and incite the population against the protagonist's regiment.
A few missions later, the protagonist's team gets ambushed by a surprisingly well-armed Moomin airship and loses many soldiers. Behind Moomin lines, one of the protagonist's teammates (a girl) gets injured and has to stay behind. No matter the player's answers, the injured soldier-girl has to stay behind so that the protagonist can attempt to flee. Meanwhile, no matter the player's reaction to the population of Cerberus, the no-prisoners allowed little Moomins find her and tear her guts open, possibly doing some other war crimes to her corpse. Probably while she cries for mercy.
I hope she doesn't have four kids back in Earth, awaiting when mommy gets back from her humanitarian mission to deliver some medicine!
What could go wrong, they said.....
Eventually, the protagonist and the platoon find a rebel base.

There, they can be captured and indoctrinated to good Moomin ideas, and unless the player has managed to mod the brains out of the game, the team can find the innocent Moomin general, and the game tries to portray the Moomins as innocent "rebels" (terrorists!), then the player gets to learn of more Moomins gathering to liberate more entrails from the evil medicine-weilding army of evil soldiers.
During the final mission, no matter how the player does, the team gets captured and then the Moomins reveal that they have innocent little mechs ready for deployment.
Should the player decide for the loyalist path, the protagonist develops into a crying mess over the army's evil duties, and in the endgame, he/she/🇳🇱 can either side with the little Moomin terrorists to try and find more little soldier-girls with medicine to gut, or he/she/🇳🇱 can issue an orbital bombardment in the Moomin infested main city of Cerberus.
Should the loyalist path be taken, the player is reprimanded for his/her/🇳🇱 evil actions by the author and suffers extreme PTSD.

Last edited:

Luan

Arcadie: Secound Born

In one word; disappointing. When I played the WiP I got hyped by the whole plot of NOT being the guy who is special and has to deal with being the chosen one. Instead, beying the guy who knows the one who stands abouve. Giving you the chance of beying good at you own thing.

And I liked the ideia of seeing you sister sit on the throne while you (may or not) resent her for it. It was a good begining that gave me hope of reading a good history, about a Love and hate siblings relationship, filled with betrayal, revenge and resilience. With you not beying the king, and still needing to deal with the danger that threat the kingdom. With a good romance, and a good redemption Arc.

But when I reached half of the history, the game slaped with a "Nah, mate, we're killing your sister."

In the most idiot way, the game not only NOT let you save your sister as well give you choices that don't change the outcome. All that **** chat about relationship, of jealosity, goes down the hole as your sister takes her last breath. And when I lifted my jaw of the ground, I still had hopes that maybe the history would be good. With a good plot and all... Yeah, no.

You become the king, you gain the Powers and you assume the title of "last hope of the kingdom."

And while is still possible to make a great history with all thoose things, Siege of Treboulain beying a good example. That was not the case.

The history is short, even when having a lot to tell. A romance that while is good, does little to save the rushed history. And even having good characters, the history just don't let you get to know them. The problems are just solved as you floater on the history. Not really giving you the taste of Victory at the end.

And when the screen says THE END, you just feel like you just read half of the book, even when you play the game for the secound time.

Leaving me a sour taste, knowing the potential this book had, just to see it beying throw out of the window.

Is not a bad game; but knowing what could be, and seeying what actually is, is just...sad😓😓

Sant

Arcadie: Secound Born

In one word; disappointing. When I played the WiP I got hyped by the whole plot of NOT being the guy who is special and has to deal with being the chosen one. Instead, beying the guy who knows the one who stands abouve. Giving you the chance of beying good at you own thing.

And I liked the ideia of seeing you sister sit on the throne while you (may or not) resent her for it. It was a good begining that gave me hope of reading a good history, about a Love and hate siblings relationship, filled with betrayal, revenge and resilience. With you not beying the king, and still needing to deal with the danger that threat the kingdom. With a good romance, and a good redemption Arc.

But when I reached half of the history, the game slaped with a "Nah, mate, we're killing your sister."

In the most idiot way, the game not only NOT let you save your sister as well give you choices that don't change the outcome. All that **** chat about relationship, of jealosity, goes down the hole as your sister takes her last breath. And when I lifted my jaw of the ground, I still had hopes that maybe the history would be good. With a good plot and all... Yeah, no.

You become the king, you gain the Powers and you assume the title of "last hope of the kingdom."

And while is still possible to make a great history with all thoose things, Siege of Treboulain beying a good example. That was not the case.

The history is short, even when having a lot to tell. A romance that while is good, does little to save the rushed history. And even having good characters, the history just don't let you get to know them. The problems are just solved as you floater on the history. Not really giving you the taste of Victory at the end.

And when the screen says THE END, you just feel like you just read half of the book, even when you play the game for the secound time.

Leaving me a sour taste, knowing the potential this book had, just to see it beying throw out of the window.

Is not a bad game; but knowing what could be, and seeying what actually is, is just...sad😓😓
I guess the whole "transfer the game to itch" thing got in the way and made it look rushed. From the demo that I saw in 2021, I thought it was gonna be a single book only, without a planned sequel.

Luan

I know that this is just a WiP and probably most haven't played yet, but I would like to know the opinion of those who have already been in contact with...

Replica: Between Universes

There's games where you got the chance of embark on an incredible adventure that will define everyone's future. surrounded by characters that are so interesting that make you feel affection, making you forget they are not real. in a rich world that it is well built that makes you want to explore and know everything...

And there's games where you just a guy who is forced on a Dimensional adventure along with a butch of unilateral characters that are boring like a blank page.

I might be pulling a leg here, but reading about the RO's of this game, I dind't felt like dating any of them. They're so anoying to me, that I've got to stop reading, take a breath and give It another go. Only one character could be said that don't really makes me want to pull my hair out.

But, Let's do it by steps...

The plot is simple; you got to go to others dimensions to see you parents that are dead. While discovering that a type of virus called Replicas are kinda making the realities be erased and that if it is not stopped everything will be destroyed. And you're the only one who can put a end to it. No pressure right?

The choices are sometimes useless. The first choice where someone asks you If you want to speak about something, you got to choose you answer. And you can be friendly and say you want to hear it, or you can be a jerk and say "I'd rather swallow nails than have this conversation". And the answer of this character are just the same thing. Only that if you answer kindly, she or he will answer with entusiasm. If you where a jerk, she will still answer, with the same explanation, only changing how she deals with your answer. And that's Just an example, there times and times again where thoose choices are just taken from you. Like choosing to go or not, into a parallel world to see parents, that are dead on your world.

Which parents? Exactly, you have no contact with them until later in the history. They're just there, and don't really give you much of a reason to go see them. Only that you sister underage is desperate to get to know them. Even if this trip is dangerous. Including choosing to go without your permission to accompany the strangers who invade your home at night. Your friend of course agrees, and can you say no? of course you can't because the history doens't let you. And even making you feel like you a monster for not choosing to go.

I felt more like I was beying forced into the plot. Trapped. And in this kind of games that I like so much, to feel trapped is the opossite of the thing I like to feel when reading a CoG history.

*Spoiler* But that's not all, you know the the virus you should be stopping? You know that one that is going to destroy the realities? You're are one of them! Just like your sister. Your whole history and life is a lie. And it Just hit harder when the characters around you insists that you should Just kill all the REPLICAS. Sometimes the game is just cruel. Making you feel like everything is poitless, and you should Just give up. (Which I think is the intention).

Replica is a game that It frustrates me on every aspect. Making me feel like just dropping after the secound chapter.

But that of course is just my opinion, I not saying that the game is horrible is that no one should play. In fact, I see how some could like the Plot. And I would like to hear the opinion of those who like this story. The idea of parallel worlds has always interested me.

So please, feel free to give your opinion👍

Last edited:

GR1M

So we've had this thread before the site got erased, so I think we could bring back again.

I'll start with Magikiras, the book had potential but the ending was very rushed without a good conclusion. I high-key feel like they will not bring a sequel, unless they redo the ending or something.
I'm very late to this discussion and I agree with you, however the author has expressed, some years ago, the lack of desire to write a sequel or another book concerning Magikiras.

Parallax

I, the Forgotten One. Military **** interspersed with flashbacks + self-blame. I mean, yes, yes war experiences are terrible and traumatic, but it became boring to me at some point. Flashbacks in FH were intriguing, twisted and made me curious about MC's past. In ItFO made me just scroll without reading. What else... I don't remember the romance, guess there was some, but I must have missed it. Being a commander, planning defense, battles... I didn't like it very much. Not the book's fault, ofc, after all that was the plot (so why did I start reading that IF???? :<<)

I can't help but think that a story where MC and sister's roles are reversed would be more interesting, or at least more unique. In CoG and HC you have a lot of stories where MC is some warrior.... and playing spoiled, adored kid - or rather young adult - who was suddenly thrown into "real life" and into a role they weren't intended for. I'm in. I don't remember IF that would be similar to what I described ("Kidnapped! And the Royal Birthday" doesn't count ;v)

Sant

Now for a comeback, since I've genuinely forgot abt this thread 💀

Community College Hero series, I've never saw such a game/story which made me feel like a loser 99% of the time like this one, even when passing the stats check. Heck, even the romance isn't salvageable. Hopefully the book 3 (which is in a hiatus from the last time I checked but the author might be back) manage to fix things I guess.

Last edited:

Zei

Aye same. Been too long since I saw someone replying on this thread that my mind forgot about its existence. Glad I found it again though.

Community College Hero series, I've never seem such a game/story which made me feel like a loser 99% of the time like this one, even when passing the stats check. Heck, even the romance isn't salvageable. Hopefully the book 3 (which is in a hiatus from the last time I checked but the author might be back) manage to fix things I guess.

MIAuthor2008

Yeah, I don't know why the author of "Lords of Aswick" is hiatus too. I mean the story is really great. This like bruh...

Community College Hero series, I've never seem such a game/story which made me feel like a loser 99% of the time like this one, even when passing the stats check. Heck, even the romance isn't salvageable. Hopefully the book 3 (which is in a hiatus from the last time I checked but the author might be back) manage to fix things I guess

DanSallato

Another one I wanted to bring up (even though it's a WiP) is Kingdoms and Empires. It's genuinely mind-boggling. It's an isekai but it barely factors into the story and I actually completely forgot at multiple points because absolutely nothing happens for 300k words. I've heard multiple people say what a great demo it is but the entire demo is protracted lore dump that doesn't even slightly matter. Every single choice is "Get lore dump" or "Continue on to next lore dump", and I honestly question why the author just didn't write a bloody novel at this point.

meyaoi

Another one I wanted to bring up (even though it's a WiP) is Kingdoms and Empires. It's genuinely mind-boggling. It's an isekai but it barely factors into the story and I actually completely forgot at multiple points because absolutely nothing happens for 300k words. I've heard multiple people say what a great demo it is but the entire demo is protracted lore dump that doesn't even slightly matter. Every single choice is "Get lore dump" or "Continue on to next lore dump", and I honestly question why the author just didn't write a bloody novel at this point.
*cough*cause it's easier to get patrons who pay every month by creating interactive fiction instead*cough*