What's new
Choice of Mods

Join our amazing community to find Choicescript games and modifications to improve your gameplay!

Stories that left you disappointed for a reason

Vamp-kun

Vamp-kun How do you get the Conqueror ending? I got it once and tried to do it again but failed. And also how do I learn about the Triple Chalice without using mods?

About the Conqueror ending... I don't really remember. There was a lot about discovering the protagonist's Warg-dreams™ — oops! I mean seer dreams, early on, making all the correct choices, killing the abyssal demon early, immediately finding the cure for the abyssal disease that could kill the protagonist who used the starblade, among other things.

sylwyn

Also, which trailer?
Z.
No doubt some can last. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling so well the studios keep pumping them up.
Doesn't make them less boring, tho.
Percy Jacksonesque story in a modern magical academy with supernatural creatures
I tried watching the new tv series, and it does indeed remind of Keepers, Although Percy's world is much more vibrant.

Zastaw

I'd say the author is more on the extreme side of "don't change the story to please the readers. Write one you are pleased with". And her attitude irritates anyone reading her responses on character criticism. Similar to the "A tale of Crowns" author. But at least she's releasing games unlike some (quite a low bar we've set for authors to clear huh😂)

For someone who is not accostumed to that style of writing and gameplay, obviously they wouldn't like it, but personally I didn't find it quite as bad considering i've been plaing chooseyourstory.com games for a while now.

The point of Book 1's story as far as I got, was how this seemingly omnipotent, but benevolent and full of love for the creations under their protection, entity's (MC) is swept away by the whirlwind of events happening around them, with them being powerless to change their course. Though I'll have to admit that being forced to act like a goody two shoes against Milo just reflects the author's inability to write the choice/route on... expressing anger towards him? At least that's the nr.1 complaint I had, though there is the concern with the male RO sucking (not everyone wants to be forced to choose between a time-ticking bomb like Gabriel or to be a part of a poly relationship between Milo and Malcolm. You either accept the fact that either of them (Milo or Mal) will still continue their relationship while also romacing you or you just default to Gabe. The only sane one amongs the ROs is Hazel, though my favorite is Belladonna for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I'm following the story due to the lore being interesting, but compared to the likes of Fallen Hero and A tale of Crowns, I agree that it falls short on the romance department.
chooseyourstory.com gives me ptsd. Back 6 years or so ago it was filled with uber edgey 30 years that used the site as a platform to D-wave. Seeing the conversations that went on their had me drowning in the ick. I stopped enjoying a lot of the works there just because i couldn't separate the works from the author when every story had a thread under it with the author acting like a high class billionaire trying to explain physics to a 6 year old because they criticized the way something was worded or the pacing of a story. Being in those threads felt like being in a human centipede. At the end of my time there, Someone disagreed with an author, Who was also a mod (That already felt like a conflict of interest) Said mod basically told everyone on the site they were not allowed to post anything for an amount of time (Wow who knew making an author a moderator on a public site in which his or her works are posted was a bad idea) At that point i was done with the site as a whole so i had a bit of fun and took the ban. Never looked back. Until now apparently.

Sokrates

chooseyourstory.com gives me ptsd. Back 6 years or so ago it was filled with uber edgey 30 years that used the site as a platform to D-wave. Seeing the conversations that went on their had me drowning in the ick. I stopped enjoying a lot of the works there just because i couldn't separate the works from the author when every story had a thread under it with the author acting like a high class billionaire trying to explain physics to a 6 year old because they criticized the way something was worded or the pacing of a story. Being in those threads felt like being in a human centipede. At the end of my time there, Someone disagreed with an author, Who was also a mod (That already felt like a conflict of interest) Said mod basically told everyone on the site they were not allowed to post anything for an amount of time (Wow who knew making an author a moderator on a public site in which his or her works are posted was a bad idea) At that point i was done with the site as a whole so i had a bit of fun and took the ban. Never looked back. Until now apparently.
Well no idea on what the hell happens in the forums themselves, since I couldn't care less about interacting with them. I'm there for the storygames, not for the community. I play, rate and write reviews (thoughts) on my gameplay experience and that's it.

Honestly, I wish there was a feature like that (commenting) on wips and demos without having to be extra careful on "author's feelings" who can't handle even polite criticism on their writing. That's why I'm glad we got this thread.

Vamp-kun

Well no idea on what the hell happens in the forums themselves, since I couldn't care less about interacting with them. I'm there for the storygames, not for the community. I play, rate and write reviews (thoughts) on my gameplay experience and that's it.

Honestly, I wish there was a feature like that (commenting) on wips and demos without having to be extra careful on "author's feelings" who can't handle even polite criticism on their writing. That's why I'm glad we got this thread.
Of course. Port de Pais is where us, pirates, can settle down for a bit!

yourstalkeroutside

Making My first post just to complain about On the Run: Rogue Heroes. If I couldve told you what the plot was about.

Falling it rushed would be nice.

Royal Affairs was a close second.

I loved Creme de la Creme. This one was boring to me. Trevelyan's romance was done dirty. Had potential but wasted every inch of it.

sylwyn

Shadow1904

Crown of Conquest.
10 chatgpt out of 10.

Intricate tapestry weaving auras of stalwart idiocy. Repeated several times on the same page.
But "His presence radiated radiant smile" takes the grand prix.

Oh an the author replies to thread in the same manner. I'm half convinced he's an autonomous agent someone sicked on the forum to see if it can fool people into being a writer.
The thread is gone and Google turns up nothing so I have no idea what you're referencing

I thought you meant crown of sorcery (whatever it's actually called, the elf queen one) at first

sylwyn

Shadow1904

Thread is still there.
You need to be logged in on that site and enter the "adult content" group before the topic becomes available to read.
Here's direct link to the demo https://dashingdon.com/play/prandyesh/the-golden-throne-/mygame/
I read one paragraph and was already irritated

that's bloody impressive

Edit: Oh, I went into the thread and the author admits to using AI...right after a reply attacking someone (you?) pointing out that it feels like AI generated slop 😆. I do like that reply from the other person that also reads like an AI generated essay though.

Last edited:

sylwyn

right after a reply attacking someone (you?) pointing out that it feels like AI generated slop
Wasn't me, but likely someone sharing the sentiment.
Yet CoG forum is always full of groupies that grovel before authors for the sake of virtual internet points or something.

One more peculiar thing is the author's name is Pradnesh, which is the same name a Hindu god of knowledge has. Very tongue in cheek name for someone with little command over English, even more so if he indeed is an AI bot.

kecap asin

Thread is still there.
You need to be logged in on that site and enter the "adult content" group before the topic becomes available to read.
Here's direct link to the demo https://dashingdon.com/play/prandyesh/the-golden-throne-/mygame/
Bro 💀
Somehow the people who dk riding the author is more embarrassing than the AI used itself.
There's even a person who defending the author by saying "It doesn’t matter if he is using AI or not, as long as the game is good and huge. I’m fine with that."
This person is given a literal sht, and he's grateful for it. Because its 'huge'.

tami123

There are a few stories that left me feeling disappointed, often because of high expectations or a sudden narrative shift. For example:

1. "Game of Thrones" (TV series) – The final season, especially the last few episodes, felt rushed. Many fans, including myself, expected deeper character arcs and more satisfying resolutions, given the intricate build-up throughout the series.
  2. "Lost" (TV series) – While the show was captivating for many seasons, its ending left numerous questions unanswered. The final explanation for the island's mysteries didn’t feel cohesive with earlier storylines.
  3. "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" (Book/Film) – The conclusion, while grounded in the realities of trauma and war, felt bleak and unsatisfying. Katniss’s personal journey seemed to lose momentum in favor of a rushed political resolution.
  4. "Mass Effect 3" (Video game) – The ending received backlash for not providing sufficient closure to the complex choices players had made throughout the series, leaving many feeling like their decisions didn’t matter in the end.
In most cases, it’s not that the stories were bad, but that they didn't align with the expectations built over time. That contrast often leads to disappointment.

Vamp-kun

There are a few stories that left me feeling disappointed, often because of high expectations or a sudden narrative shift. For example:

1. "Game of Thrones" (TV series) – The final season, especially the last few episodes, felt rushed. Many fans, including myself, expected deeper character arcs and more satisfying resolutions, given the intricate build-up throughout the series.
  2. "Lost" (TV series) – While the show was captivating for many seasons, its ending left numerous questions unanswered. The final explanation for the island's mysteries didn’t feel cohesive with earlier storylines.
  3. "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" (Book/Film) – The conclusion, while grounded in the realities of trauma and war, felt bleak and unsatisfying. Katniss’s personal journey seemed to lose momentum in favor of a rushed political resolution.
  4. "Mass Effect 3" (Video game) – The ending received backlash for not providing sufficient closure to the complex choices players had made throughout the series, leaving many feeling like their decisions didn’t matter in the end.
In most cases, it’s not that the stories were bad, but that they didn't align with the expectations built over time. That contrast often leads to disappointment.
This thread is for text-games in the style of choose your own adventure that disappointed us, but I'll chip in to your reply as well.

"Game of Thrones" (TV series)
Seriously, it's the fault of the directors for not sticking close to the books. They made Daenerys Targaryen look like a heroine, while in the books it's vaguely implied that she is the evil that Azor Ahai Reborn will defeat. Don't forget that the books begun as 1990s dark fantasy series with other mindset.

"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" (Book/Film) In my worldview, it's an antiwar and antipolitics narrative, so of course Katniss will be tired from the struggle. Although, I remember that people say the author didn't have many ideas on what to do next after the first book, but the publishing house needed three books, so...

"Mass Effect 3" (Video game)
Mass Effect 3 was an even worse murder and actionification of the legendary first Mass Effect game, but, at least the combat mechanics were awesome.

Morgoth

This thread is for text-games in the style of choose your own adventure that disappointed us, but I'll chip in to your reply as well.

"Game of Thrones" (TV series)
Seriously, it's the fault of the directors for not sticking close to the books. They made Daenerys Targaryen look like a heroine, while in the books it's vaguely implied that she is the evil that Azor Ahai Reborn will defeat. Don't forget that the books begun as 1990s dark fantasy series with other mindset.

"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" (Book/Film) In my worldview, it's an antiwar and antipolitics narrative, so of course Katniss will be tired from the struggle. Although, I remember that people say the author didn't have many ideas on what to do next after the first book, but the publishing house needed three books, so...

"Mass Effect 3" (Video game)
Mass Effect 3 was an even worse murder and actionification of the legendary first Mass Effect game, but, at least the combat mechanics were awesome.
Rings of Power: Need I say more? It is an insult to Tolkien

Vamp-kun

Rings of Power: Need I say more? It is an insult to Tolkien
Ugh. The story was supposed to be a long narrative in how the demon-like Sauron hid his form behind a veil of fake friendliness and supposed humanity by duping many kings into becoming his Wraiths. Sauron is nor human nor elf. He is of the Maiar (singular Maia). Primordial spirits created to help the Valar first shape the world.

Galadriel was supposed to understand that this mysterious "friendly" entity was about to trap nearly everybody into a dark web of lies and keep her distance, not really being able to influence anybody from the far lands that she was situated in.

Now the writers of TRoP want to create a forbidden romance story, or something like that. Seriously!
Just create a new tale from the hundreds of similar books that have been published but never seen any adaptation in eighty years!

Let the old ip's to die in peace.

Last edited:

clover

Love and leases.

It's fairly new. The demo just dropped recently. Check it out if you're interested. You have probably heard of it, if you're around tumblr a lot. You catch your fiancè and sister cheating on you on your anniversary. You lose your apartment and dog both because of them and are currently living with your best friend.

On to ranting.
The story was good. The premise is good. But some of the dialogues were so cringe worthy I had to close the tab and walk away from my laptop. Especially the bold flirting options. Why isn't there a single bold option that is not suggestive? I don't mind innuendo but in this IF it was straight up unbearable because of how poorly written it was. I am baffled to see that it's so popular but i suppose, to each his own. I came expecting something similar to apt-502 but man.... wth. Lol.